Newsletter Sign Up
Why Parent Up is Important
Research shows that parents have the most influence on whether or not their child chooses to drink alcohol or use drugs. Parent Up encourages you to use this power!
Our resources are designed to empower you to get these harder conversations about drug and alcohol use started, and the confidence to keep them going.
Together, we can create positive outcomes for our children and reduce the number drug and alcohol-related consequences. Your words are powerful! Use them to prevent youth drug and alcohol use!
Newsletter Sign Up
is the average drinking age of Missouri youth
think it’s okay to drink
of minors drank last month
more likely to become alcohol dependent
What Parents Can Do
Parents have the most influence on whether or not their child drinks alcohol or uses drugs. Parent Up encourages you to use this power! Read more below, and visit our different tabs to learn more about how to use your influence to prevent youth substance use.
What We Do
Parent Up is a messaging campaign dedicated to keeping children safe from the harms of alcohol and other drug use. Our campaign is rooted in evidence-based research and prevention. Decades of studies clearly demonstrate that using alcohol, nicotine, or other drugs is harmful for the developing adolescent brain (for youth and young people under age 25).
Parent Up advocates that:
- It is not acceptable for children and teens to consume any amount of alcohol, nicotine, or other drugs.
- Allowing minors to drink or use other drugs puts parents and children at risk of health and legal consequences.
- Our teens may be responsible individuals with many life experiences, but their brains are still rapidly developing until about age 25. Alcohol and other drugs are not safe while they continue to grow.
- Resources to equip you to start conversations with your children, build trust, and help them make smarter, safer decisions.
- Outreach in Kansas City, Missouri’s Northland communities to help empower parents to speak to their children about substance use.
- And outreach to keep our area youth safe from the harms of underage alcohol and drug use.
We strive to prevent all underage drug use by encouraging parents to communicate with their children about this issue. Since parents have the greatest influence on their children’s decision to not use drugs or alcohol, our mission is to provide parents with the knowledge and resources they need to keep their children safe and healthy.
Parent Up is a campaign based in Clay, Platte, and Ray counties in and around Kansas City, Missouri. Parent Up strives to eliminate youth substance use. Our campaign has been ongoing since 2012, operating primarily from federal and state prevention grants and funding. The campaign name “Parent Up” originated in Vermont.
Copy-and-paste-ready materials that will help you communicate the key messages of this campaign. Download the Media Toolkit now.
The Parent UP Campaign offers a number of excellent resources for parents and families. Visit our Tools page for more information.
Download the Logo
Download the Parent UP logo for use in handouts, announcements or other printed materials.
Make the Parent Up Prom Commitment
Complete the survey to win $500 for your teen’s after prom party!