As parents, we understand how difficult it can be to navigate tough topics with our children. We also understand the feeling of being overwhelmed by advice and opinions from the internet, television, books, talk shows, other parents, social media and more!
At Parent Up, our mission is to prevent underage drinking in the Northland through equipping parents with facts, resources and tools. The aim of our new blog is to provide practical, up-to-date information about parenting from local experts and parents like you.
Together, we can prevent underage drinking and drug use to keep our children safe!
What to Expect from the Parent Up Blog:
- Expertise from local health care professionals, educators and law enforcement
- Information on the root causes of underage drinking and how to address them
- The latest research and trends relating to underage drinking, drug use and mental health
- Stories from local parents about how they have addressed difficult issues with their children
Where to start?
Alcohol kills more teens than all other illegal drugs combined, which is why our mission is so important! The first thing you can do to prevent underage drinking or any other drug use is to start a conversation with your children. Research shows that parents have the most influence on whether or not their child drinks. What you say really does matter.
Here are some questions you can ask to open up the communication:
- What are other kids at school saying about alcohol and drugs?
- What do you think about drinking and drugs?
- What worries or questions do you have about drinking?
- [When watching TV or movies together that portray underage drinking] What do you think would happen if teens drank like this in real life?
Remember to ask open ended questions and to listen without judgement. Check out more of ourtips for starting the conversation on underage drinking with your children and teens.
We’d Love to Hear from YOU
Do you have ideas on what content you’d like to see on the blog? Leave them in the comments below! Would you like to contribute to the blog and guest post? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!