What You Can Do When Other Adults Provide Alcohol or Other Drugs To Minors

As a parent, you have the most influence on whether or not your child drinks or uses other drugs. By choosing not to provide alcohol to your child, you are in the majority along with 99% of Northland parents.

Unfortunately, there is still a small percentage of parents who provide alcohol or other drugs to minors or allow underage drinking or drug use on their property. It can be a frustrating and confusing situation to navigate if you learn of an adult condoning and enabling these risky behaviors.

When you learn information or details about underage drinking or drug use, the best thing to do is to take direct action:

  • Call law enforcement
  • Contact the adult directly
  • Notify your school or other parents  

We understand that it can be difficult to confront other adults directly. Also, if you find out about the incident after the fact, it may be too late for law enforcement or the school to take action.

Mail a Parent Warning Letter

If calling law enforcement or reaching out directly are not the best options for you, you can take action by printing and mailing our anonymous Parent Warning Letter.

The Parent Warning Letter:  

  • Informs the adult that it is known they might have knowingly provided alcohol (or other drugs) to minors.
  • Explains the risks and dangers of underage drinking and drug use.
  • Asks that they stop condoning underage drinking and drug use immediately. 

How To Send a Parent Warning Letter:

  1. Download the Parent Up Warning Letter.
  2. In order to remain anonymous, DO NOT SIGN YOUR NAME on the letter. Send as a “concerned neighbor”, “concerned parent” or “community member.”
  3. Mail the letter without your return address.

*Parent Up encourages you to send the letter at your own risk and provide law enforcement with relevant details as you see necessary. Do not sign your name on the letter or include your return address if you wish to remain anonymous.